In November 2017, South London Theatre will be handed the keys to its newly refurbished theatre space at the Old Fire Station in West Norwood. The project has been many years in the making and has been made possible by a generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The work that has been carried out will not only create an exciting new theatre, but will make the building accessible to the whole community.
To commemorate the return to the Old Fire Station, the South London Theatre is launching a new writing competition.
Writers of all levels of experience are invited to enter one-act or full-length plays, on the theme of ‘Renewal’, which must be original, unperformed and unproduced. The winning entry will be performed in the new theatre during the 2018 season.
SLT is delighted to announce that Jamie Eastlake (Artististic Director at Theatre N16, Balham) and Steve Harper (Literary Manager at Theatre 503, Battersea) will be joining the panel to judge the shortlisted plays.
Open for submissions: 28 February 2017
Closing date: 30 June 2017
Shortlist announced: 4 September 2017
Winner announced: 30 October 2017
- One-act (minimum 30 minutes) or full-length (minimum 80 minutes) running time.
- The play should reflect the theme of ‘Renewal’.
- Playwrights must be based in the UK and may only submit one play each.
- Submissions may not previously have been produced or published.
- Anonymity and exclusivity: All plays will be judged as anonymous entries, and entrants are therefore prohibited from promoting in any way their submitted script during the reading and judging process.
- Plays must be submitted in one single file in Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF(.pdf) format.
- The authors name and contact details must be removed from all pages of the script. All pages to be numbered.
- Copyright: By submitting a script to this competition, the playwright (and his or her co-authors) warrants that she/he has exclusive ownership of the copyright and moral rights over the work submitted and that it is available for immediate production. The play must not contain or infringe any material that is owned or has been created by another person/s.
- Late submissions cannot be accepted under any circumstances (including technical difficulties), so we recommend that all entries are submitted in good time.
- Withdrawing: If you wish to submit your script to another competition, agent or other third party, please notify us and we will withdraw your script from the competition. All withdrawals are final.
- The judges reserve the right not to declare a winner.
How To Enter
Please submit all entries using the form on the right and email the script using the link below clearly stating your name, title of the piece and contact number. You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your script.
What Happens Then?
All scripts will be read by the New Writing Team and a shortlist drawn up for the final judging panel. The winning entry will be performed in the new theatre during the 2018 season.
Please email any queries with the link below: