Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Auditions! The Government Inspector

Auditions! The Government Inspector 3 years, 1 month ago #1

• Naomi
  • NOW ONLINE

AUDITIONS! NEXT MONTH! FOR MY SHOW! STICK IT IN YER DIARIES YOU 'ORRIBLE LOT!

The Government Inspector by Nikolai Gogol, (in a version by David Harrower)

Auditions in the Rehearsal Room: Weds 15th July, 8pm and Sunday 19th July, 6pm.

Performances in the Stanley Halls: 3rd – 7thth November

The news that a government inspector is heading for a small Russian town sends its bureaucrats into a panicked frenzy. A simple case of mistaken identity exposes the hypocrisy and corruption at the heart of the town in this biting modern satire.

Originally written in 1839, Gogol’s comic masterpiece has been described as ‘the greatest play in the Russian language’. Luckily, David Harrower’s sharp modern interpretation does not require a mastery of the original Russian, just impeccable comic timing, very funny dialogue and lots of farcical goings-on.

The play was the inspiration behind the Fawlty Towers episode ‘The Hotel Inspector’ and I am planning to channel that manic energy in a fast-paced, knockabout production.

It will be the first ‘out’ show after SLT leaves the building, so it’s a great chance to get involved in something new and exciting.

For many of the roles casting is flexible as far as age and gender is concerned and I will be doubling some of them up – however exact combinations will depend on what talent I have at my disposal!

The following characters will not be doubled up:

THE MAYOR (M, 35+)

KHLETAKOV (M, 25-35) A rake and a chancer, he is the subject of the mistaken identity confusion.

OSIP (M, any age.) Khlestakov’s long-suffering servant

ANNA (F, 35 – 50) The Mayor’s glamorous wife. Age is flexible but must be convincing as the mother of…

MARIA (F, 18ish) The Mayor’s debutante daughter

BOCHINSKY & DOBCHINSKY (M, 20s/30s), twin landowners

The following characters may be doubled up and except where stated are flexible in age and gender:

MISHKA the Mayor’s servant

POSTMASTER

LYAPKIN-TYAPKIN a judge

DR GIBNER – the town doctor. He does not speak Russian. And therefore…does not speak.

ZEMLYANIKA – trustee of charitable institutions

KHLOPOV (M) – schools superintendent

POLICE SUPERINTENDENT

SUNDRY WIVES AND WIDOWS (F)

WAITER

SHOPKEEPERS

Please contact naomiliddle@hotmail.com for audition pieces (which are not available yet but totally will be at some unspecified point in the future)

Last Edit: 3 years ago by Naomi.

Re: Auditions! The Government Inspector 3 years ago #2

• Naomi
  • NOW ONLINE

AUDITIONS NEXT WEEK!!!

I'll put a perusal copy of the script in the bar tonight (Tuesday 7th). For anyone who has their own, the scenes we'll likely look at in the auditions will be:

Act 1 scenes 1 and 2 for the Mayor and the ensemble (council officials etc - also people after the smaller parts like villagers etc will be asked to read this)

Act 2 scene 1 for Osip and Khlestakov

Act 2 scene 4 for Mayor and Khlestakov

Act 4 scenes 1 - 6 for the bribery conversations between Khlestakov and the government officials

Act 1 scene 4 for Maria and Anna, Act 3 scene 1 for Anna, Act 4 scene 11 for Maria/Khlestakov/Anna

In the event that I want to see more from Khlestakov and/or the Mayor, I may also ask people to try some of their big speeches.

Please contact me on naomiliddle at hotmail dot com for more info!

(I'm also looking for crew to help with this, the first SLT out show. Get in touch if you fancy a challenge!)

Re: Auditions! The Government Inspector 3 years ago #3

• Naomi
  • NOW ONLINE

UP!!! This Wednesday!!

Re: Auditions! The Government Inspector 3 years ago #4

• Naomi
  • NOW ONLINE

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came along to the auditions; it was a great turnout and some wonderful talent on show. I'll be in touch with everyone as soon as I can but I've a lot of deliberating to do (and possibly some venn diagrams to draw!), so thanks in advance for your patience. 

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds