Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The World's Wife - A review

The World's Wife - A review 7 months, 1 week ago #1

• JLH
  • NOW ONLINE

If you haven't visited the Upper Hall this week yet, grab a ticket for tonight's or tomorrow's show. You will be royally entertained!

I had wondered if the evening might be a little dry, and I speak as a feminist. Thirty poems by the same author sounded as if it might be too long or offer little variety. How wrong could I be!

The poems are performed by 8 actors with relish and nuance and a love of language which shines through all the pieces. As one poem follows another seamlessly, you are offered a series of stories performed in a variety of accents with contrasting emotions and some wonderful punchlines. And such clarity of delivery! It was a pleasure to be able to hear every word clearly - which cannot always be said of every production.

The evening is launched in powerful style by Siobhan Campbell's The Beast, with Siobhan savouring every word. The contrast with her  later delivery of a poignant Mrs Quasimodo provided two highlights for me. Stephanie Gaydon's Mancunian Mrs Kong creates delightful, (and naughty), images for the audience with a moving declaration of her love.

Victoria Maytom is a revelation, with a thoughtful Anne Hathaway contrasting with a threatening Kray Sister, joining Stephenie to create havoc in the East End. Eileen Coan's saucy Elvis's Twin Sister and Kait Feeney's Mrs Faust, spitting words out like bullets, both delight the eye and ear.

My only quibble is that, for me, the visual titles could have been clearer and the background sound effects fewer. The actors are all having a wonderful time exploring their characters and their enjoyment is shared by their audience. The show is filled with great performances and the audience leaves smiling. Congratulations to Jess Osorio and her talented cast on providing such an entertaining and thought provoking evening.

Go on. Spoil yourself. Grab a ticket while you can!

Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by JLH.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds