Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Film Club Saturday 7th March Double Indemnity

Film Club Saturday 7th March Double Indemnity 2 years, 9 months ago #1

A 1944 film noir classic, this Billy Wilder movie created the template for many later films to follow.

Starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G Robinson, the film, told mostly in flashback, begins with badly wounded insurance salesman, Walter Neff (MacMurray), dictating a confession on a machine to his colleague, claims adjuster, Barton Keyes (Robinson).

Neff has become infatuated with Phyllis Dietrichson (Stanwyck), the wfie of a motor policy-holder he visits. She asks him about taking out an accidental death policy on her husband without his knowledge. Neff immediately suspects she wants her husband dead.

Reluctant at first, Neff eventually agrees to help Phyllis and they hatch and carry out a plot to stage the 'accident'.

However, Keyes is suspicious when the claim is made, unbeknown to Neff who is more concerned that the murdered man's daughter is convinced that Phyllis has had her father killed......

Love, deceit, betrayal and friendship are all themes that run through this atmospheric piece

Re: Film Club Saturday 7th March Double Indemnity 2 years, 9 months ago #2

Tomorrow night.

Doors open 7.30 pm

Programme starts 8.00 pm approx.

Re: Film Club Saturday 7th March Double Indemnity 2 years, 9 months ago #3

Thanks to Tom Lyne for his assistance with setting up on Saturday evening in the absence of the ailing Mr Krause.

Excellent turnout, by the way! (Including Frodo the dog whose comments have been duly noted.) cool

Re: Film Club Saturday 7th March Double Indemnity 2 years, 9 months ago #4

• Naomi

Double Indemnity was excellent; such a much-imitated classic that I thought I *must* have seen it before but evidently hadn't. Thanks to Matthew and Anton again for their curation efforts. Bring on the rest of the season! 

Re: Film Club Saturday 7th March Double Indemnity 2 years, 9 months ago #5

• helen

Yes, thanks Film Club chaps. Our first night back in good old WN and we spent it watching a classic fim in good company.  Although, when someone asked me beforehand what the film was about, I described Strangers on a Train to them in great detail. Doh!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds